8900 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910
Sunday Worship 11:00 AM, (301) 587-1215
Sligo Village Methodist Church was built in 1872 on Brooksville Turnpike (now Georgia Avenue) near Colesville Road. The building was approximately 18 feet x 25 feet, and was constructed partly of timber hewn on the site. By 1897, the B&O Railroad was running and electricity from Washington had reached the Maryland boundary. Progress posed a unique problem for this growing congregation. The Washington Woodside and Forest Glen Railway and Power Company tracks were laid so close to the church that it posed a risk.
A plot of land was donated to the church from a new subdivision called Woodside. In 1897, the church was placed on rollers, pulled up the pike by a team of horses, and placed on the opposite side of the street to what is now the Maryland Park and Planning Commission Building The early 1920’s ushered in a new era of growth and in April 1926, a new 2-story brick Sunday School building and auditorium was dedicated. By 1938, ground was broken for a new sanctuary and on March 19, 1939, a new church was dedicated to replace the old wooden church.
Growth and expansion continued and on a very snowy Christmas Eve in 1966, the first church service was held in the sanctuary of Woodside United Methodist Church’s present building. For over 130 years, Woodside United Methodist Church has served the Silver Spring community. Together we have seen many changes and grown to become a congregation of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, reflecting the hues and accents of our community and God’s creation.
We are sinner-saints with all the attendant attributes--grandeur and grit, faithfulness and frailty, compassion and compromise, seriousness and silliness. But the one thing that holds us together is the love of God made known to us in Jesus. He is the one who grasps us firmly when we fail to grasp him fully. He is the one who offers us all the way home to our loving God.